Monday, March 18, 2013

Ham n' Bean Soup *Recipe




Last week I wrote on how to make Ham Stock (Bone Broth)



Now let's make soup!



 Ham n' Bean Soup
4 to 5 qts of Ham Stock with meat from the bone
1 lb dry mixed (pinto, black, navy, kidney, even split peas or lentils) beans* ** (soaked, rinsed, and drained)
1 onion, chopped
1 -2 cloves of garlic,minced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 -2 small potatoes, chopped
1 sweet medium potato, chopped
paprika, pepper, dried parsley, rosemary sprigs, and ground cloves to taste

Stovetop: Mix Ham Stock and beans together and simmer gently on stove for 2 hours.  About a half hour before serving add veggies and spices. Cook until potatoes and carrots and done.

Crockpot: Place Ham Stock and beans in crockpot and cook all day 8 to 10 hours on low. About 2 hours before serving add veggies and spices and cook on high until potatoes and carrots are done.

My Bean Mix has Pintos, Navy Beans, Lentils, Split Peas, and Brown Rice.

* To soak beans rinse with water and place in a large bowl. Cover the beans with warm water and about a tablespoon or so of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Leave it alone for about a day. (This is when I am cooking down my ham bone.) You could probably leave it for even longer. Some folks advise dumping the water after a day and adding new warm water and then continuing the soak for another day. I haven't done this. I usually cook them the next day. :) If there is a scum of bubbles that forms on top of the bowl, skim it off and discard. This will make the beans more "user and eater friendly". :) They should double in size. Before adding to your stock to cook, rinse and drain the beans.

** Canned or pre-cooked beans can be used. Lessen your overall cooking time.











If I happen to have some bean soup, I want to be able to locate, at pretty prompt intervals, some little objects that look to me like beans. I don’t want a bowl of it where the beans have just been driven through it at low tide. ~  Will Rogers July 17, 1927  

My sentiments exactly.

Always Blessed,
Gretchen


Possibly Linking With:
 






1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post!??! Here I am on Pinterest and I see someones (yours) recognizable former kitchen. I am wandering around Pinterest looking for ways to use all that ham juice I ended up with from a certain amazing chef I know. ;-) This is perfect and I love you for posting this nine months ago. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback, thoughts, ideas, and comments. Let's just keep it respectful, ok?