Sunday, February 10, 2013

Make Your Own Brown Sugar *Recipe


 "It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
cane sugar and molasses



I grew up making brown sugar every time we had a need for it. Somewhere along the line I stopped making it myself and resorted to buying it simply because it saved me an extra 3 minutes in my kitchen. I started up again last year to save me the three dollars and because I have been trying to get back to the basics. The ones I learned from my mama as a child.

Since I am head chef and baker in this house, we are transitioning into more honey, molasses, and (slightly less refined) cane sugar and using much less refined white sugar. I am not the sugar police; just trying to do better with more whole type kind of foods. 

I have yet to see a brown sugar substitute of a healthy variety in my local area, so I decided to give my childhood brown sugar recipe a try with the cane sugar I have using. The granules are larger and look different so I wasn't sure.

It turned out lovely! I have used it interchangeably in several recipes that called for regular brown sugar. I see no noticeable difference in taste or texture. *I'm not sure how it would work in candy, such as a caramel. If you try it let me know!

cane sugar

molasses

mixing

brown sugar!

Brown Sugar
1 cup cane sugar (or white sugar)
1/8-1/4 cup dark molasses 

Mix with a fork until the molasses is fully incorporated. The less molasses the lighter the brown sugar. Use more molasses for darker brown sugar. The cane sugar does not 'pack' into a measuring cup as well but I have had no problem with it working. Use equal measure for regular brown sugar.


Always Blessed,
Gretchen :)
Possibly Linking With:

Quote from: http://www.searchquotes.com/quotes/author/Laura_Ingalls_Wilder/3/

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gretchen!! It is so nice to get near the end of reading through my linkups and find you faithfully linking. I needed this recipe!! I've heard you can do this and since from time to time I run out of brown sugar, this will be a blessing!! I used to get molasses by the case from my coop but we moved and drive to Lancaster to buy that sort of stuff...but we haven't been in at least a year. I pinned your post under my cookies and cakes in case you want to take a look. I will need to find this again :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback, thoughts, ideas, and comments. Let's just keep it respectful, ok?